We’ve all been there. You’re humming along on your program/regime and feeling great. You’re eating well and exercising regularly. You’re sleeping well. You feel extremely healthy and vibrant. And then… life happens. You go on vacation, you have a stressful week at work, you’re traveling for work, you get derailed by the holidays, you have a baby, your kids get sick…or in my case, you go to Vegas with your girlfriends for a weekend. You eat and drink anything and everything you want or whatever is available, don’t work out, and all of a sudden, you find yourself feeling lethargic, bloated, “fat“, and gross. Well, this describes my weekend and how I felt this morning, so I figured I’d write a post about getting back on track since many of us will be dealing with this shortly after the holidays.
First of all, you have to forgive yourself for your transgressions and move on. Toss away those feelings of guilt and move forward. Often, I find that people spend too much time feeling guilty after they’ve fallen off the healthy wagon rather than enjoying the cheat, forgiving themselves, and getting back on the wagon and moving forward. I have to tell myself this all the time, but life is too short to feel guilty about what you’ve eaten. Just find ways to clean yourself back up and get back on your program. So, how do you get your diet and fitness back on track?
10 Ways to Get Your Diet Back on Track:
- Go to your nearest health food store (my personal favorite is Whole Foods) and buy as many veggies and fruits as you can eat. If you can, avoid going to the typical supermarket chains since they have too many processed foods to tempt you and suck you back into eating poorly.
- Prep and Cook! Grab your favorite healthy cookbook or find some recipes online and start cooking or prepping your meals for the week. (2 Fabulous Kale Salads, 2 Great Paleo Recipes, Great Gluten-Free Recipes, 2 Healthy Fall Vegetable Recipes)
- Clean out the junk from your pantry and cupboards. Remove any temptations like that Halloween candy that you and/or your kids haven’t gotten to yet. Get rid of all of the processed stuff. Remove the unhealthy leftovers from your fridge. Give yourself the best shot of getting back on track by removing temptations.
- Start your day with warm water with fresh lemon juice. This will help your body stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis (contractions in the intestinal walls that keeps things moving)) and loosen the toxins from the digestive tract. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials as the lemon juice acts as a gentle, natural diuretic. The lemon juice also helps balance the body’s pH making it less acidic and more alkaline.
- Make yourself a green juice or smoothie – Cleaning out those pipes with some serious nutrients from veggies and fruit will help you ease back into your program. You’ll give your body some extra help detoxing and cleansing itself of the junk you’ve put in. For some juice recipes, go to Slimming Green Juice Recipes).
- Drink water like it’s your job. This will help you cleanse your body of impurities and eat less.
- Drink some herbal detox tea. Teas that have detox properties will help your kidneys and livers detox thus helping your body get back on track more easily.
- Start every meal with a salad. This will help you continue to clean out your digestive system and eat less.
- Sweat! Whether it’s going to the gym, getting outside for a run/walk, going to a class, sweating will help you recommit to eating well.
- Try to resist the urge to eat out. Eating out at restaurants, even the healthy ones, tends to derail even the most dedicated. Give yourself a break from eating out to let yourself get back on track.
- Rinse and repeat!
Life is going to happen and it’s inevitable that you’re going to fall off the wagon every so often. It’s important to have a plan to get your diet back on track and commit yourself to cleaning things up. It’s not always easy, especially when you find that you’ve redeveloped your love for sweets and get hooked back on sugar. But, recognizing that you’ve gotten off track is half the battle. Following the steps above and any other that you’ve come up with is the other half. Go forth and conquer!